The Build-up to Matchday in Athens - Olympiacos vs Arsenal

The Europa League 2020 campaign is well underway with new management and a re-invigorated team! The first away leg of the last 32 against Olympiacos was too good an opportunity to miss, especially to get away from the gloom and hopefully spend a few days in the sun!

A couple of days before my departure from Cumbria, my friendly B&B host in Athens advised me of a public transport strike on the day I was due to arrive. Initially he thought all transport, including taxis would be on strike, but in the event, taxis were available.

I flew from Manchester to Athens via Zurich on Swiss. It was so nice to fly on a plane that did not feel like a bus, had trolley service with complimentary food and drink (yes, that included beer too!). The chocolate was yummy too! Being Swiss, the flight arrived on time.

I was expecting complete chaos at the airport, but it took less than 10 minutes to get a taxi. The taxi driver was hilarious and so happy to learn I was an Arsenal fan! He wanted us to put 4 past Olympiacos! Despite my worst fears that the roads would be jammed, the journey to my B&B took less than 45 minutes.

My B&B host was pleased to see I had arrived safely and greeted me with a pot of Earl Grey tea. His cat was less happy to see me and stayed well away from me!

Dinner that night was at a great local fish restaurant less than 3 minute walk away. I enjoyed an excellent meal, had my first Fix (a local beer) and a Greek salad large enough to feed a football team! Several beers later and several dishes on the house later, I retired to bed.

In the morning, my genial B&B hosts offered me a lift into town where I intended to go around the National Archaeological  Museum. I would have spent hours at the museum but in the event over half the galleries were closed due to a lack of staff, a real shame as there was so much I wanted to see.

From mid-afternoon, members of the GayGooners started arriving and the beers started to flow. Several of us opted to go for some food before the serious drinking started. We ordered too much but everything we had was delicious.

We ended up in an Irish bar (as you do) well in time for the 10pm local kick off time for the Tottenham v Leipzig Champions League match. The music was being played very loud in the bar, although in the lull between tracks, I managed to get the 'What do you think of Tottenham' chant going. Was even complimented at how manly my boomy voice sounded!! 😁

More of the GGs arrived and enjoying the fact that Tottenham lost!

I had arranged with some of the group to meet up the next morning for a trip up to the Acropolis and then took a taxi back to the B&B.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Atmosphere Builds the Night Before

Match Day gets better....at least until just after half time

Match Day in Baku does not start well